There are a number of other types of applications we can help with including visitor, ancestry, long residence and applications involving human rights issues.

We also support extension and indefinite leave to remain applications at the appropriate time and have vast experience in appeals against visa and leave to remain refusals.

Feel free to contact us to discuss any immigration matters or to talk through any immigration issues you or your family may want assistance with.

We do offer fixed fees where we can. More information on pricing can be found here.


The team at Vanessa Ganguin Immigration Law has a wealth of experience advising over full range of UK immigration law, including the areas touched on below. Feel free to contact us for assistance finding the most appropriate immigration options for you or to talk through any issues you may need help with.

Whether you are seeking to come to the UK as a business, family, private health or marriage/civil partner visitor we can help you negotiate your application and understand the parameters of what you are permitted to do while here.

Our team will guide you through the requirements (including whether or not you require a visa) and will prepare your application from start to finish to ensure a successful outcome. We offer fixed fees where we can. More information on pricing can be found here.

To find out how we can help you please call us on 0207 033 9527 or click here to send us an email

British National (Overseas) visa

If you’re from Hong Kong and are a British national (overseas), you and your family members can apply for a British National (Overseas) visa. This is also known as a BN(O) visa. It allows you to live, work and study in the UK.

Applicants for the new visa are now able to apply entirely digitally, using a smartphone app to scan their passport.

While BN(O)s should be self-sufficient in the UK, they would not need to have a job and would be able to look for one once in the UK. BN(O)s can bring immediate dependants, including non-BN(O)s. (Dependants are defined in the Immigration Rules as a spouse or partner or children aged under 18. If there are serious or compelling reasons, the definition may include grandchildren under 18.)

Adult children (born on or after 1 July 1997) of BN(O) citizens will be eligible to apply under the BN(O) Household Member route, as will their immediate family dependants.  The BN(O) Household Member, and any dependent partner or dependent child of the Household Member, must be applying at the same time as the BN(O) citizen and form part of the same household as the BN(O) citizen.

However dependent grandparents or other relatives will not be eligible if they are not BN(O) citizens in their own right.

In exceptional circumstances of high dependency, other adult dependants may also be eligible at the UK Government’s discretion, considered on a case by case basis.

More on the BN(O) route to British citizenship

To find out how we can help you please call us on 0207 033 9527 or click here to send us an email

Youth Mobility Scheme

The Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) is a great route for youth aged 18 – 30 wishing to live, study or work in the UK to spend two years in the country without the need to be sponsored. Applicants must have certain types of British nationality or are a national from one of the eligible countries which all have a cap on applicants.

International agreements between the UK and Canada, New Zealand, Australia as well as the new India Young Professionals Scheme have recently expanded YMS options. There are reports of agreements on the horizon with more countries for such reciprocal youth mobility schemes.

The allocation for different participating nationalities does not follow the population size of those countries. India for instance, will have 3,000 places for its similar Young Professionals Scheme. Far less populous Iceland has 1,000 places, while San Marino, with a population of just 33,000 has 1,000 places on the scheme. The total allocation of places listed for 2023 for each country participating in the scheme was as follows:

  • Australia – 35,000 places
  • Canada – 8,000 places
  • Hong Kong – 1,000 places
  • Iceland – 1,000 places
  • India – 3,000 places
  • Japan – 1,500 places
  • Monaco – 1,000 places
  • New Zealand – 13,000 places
  • Republic of Korea – 1,000 places
  • San Marino – 1,000 places
  • Taiwan – 1,000 places

There is no annual limit on places for British Overseas Citizens, British Overseas Territories Citizens and British Nationals (Overseas).

Applications from some countries tend to be within the quotas, though the Home Office operates a lottery for applicants from Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and South Korea, who have to register interest in the scheme by email to revive an invite if chosen at random. These ballots usually take place in January and July. There will be a ballot for applicants for India’s ‘Young Professionals Scheme’ details fo which are yet to be announced.

There are some country-specific requirements, especially the agreement with India which allows only those at the equivalent of graduate level and above to apply to the Young Professionals Scheme.

The UK Government has also announced that such visas will be expanded for applicants from Canada and Australia as they have been for New Zealand to allow visas to last up to three years and for applicants up to the age of 35.

We can advise on eligibility requirements as well as alternative routes too. For more information on the Youth Mobility Scheme and the latest on ballots, read our latest guide here.


Commonwealth citizens with a UK-born grandparent may be eligible to apply for an ancestry visa if they are able and intend to work in the UK.

We have a wealth of experience in ancestry visa applications and can guide you through the process from start to finish.

To find out how we can help you please call us on 0207 033 9527 or click here to send us an email

Long residence

The long residence rule enables those who have lived in the UK continuously and lawfully for at least 10 years to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

Our service includes advising you on your ability to meet the requirements and preparing a robust application.

To find out how we can help you please call us on 0207 033 9527 or click here to send us an email

Human rights

A human rights claim can form the sole basis of just part of an application to enter or remain in the UK. The law around the protection of human rights is complex. UK Visas and Immigration takes the position that the Immigration Rules reflect the extent of the UK’s obligations under human rights law while the Courts have ruled that in some circumstances human rights should be considered beyond the scope of the provision in the Rules.

We will help you to identify whether you have a potential claim and assist you with an application based on your right to a family and/or private life in the UK.

To find out how we can help you please call us on 0207 033 9527 or click here to send us an email

Appeals, administrative review and judicial review

Appeals can be brought against adverse decisions on human rights claims. In cases where there is no right of appeal there is normally an alternative recourse referred to as ‘administrative review’. Where decisions do not attract a right of appeal or administrative review, you may potentially challenge the decision by way of judicial review provided that the challenge is on the grounds of illegality, irrationality or unfairness.

We have expertise in all of these types of challenges and will advise you on your prospects of success through to preparing and representing you in your appeal or application for review.

To find out how we can help you please call us on 0207 033 9527 or click here to send us an email

“Vanessa has a wealth of connections at the Home Office and frequently liaises with them in relation to the development of immigration policy…A particular flair for appeals at all levels and challenging refusals.”

Who’s Who Legal

Send us an enquiry. We will get back to you shortly.